Joining our Team and Providing Value Added Services:
PhD, CSPA certified Mental Performance Consultant
Mental Skills for Sport and Life
WHY ARE MENTAL SKILLS IMPORTANT?
“One can sculpt the brain’s emotional (and mental) circuitry as profoundly as one can sculpt one’s pectoral muscles” - Sharon Begley, author of Train your Mind, Change your Brain
Like physical training, mental training requires consistent, deliberate practice. As an athlete, your mental fitness strengthens when you are open to making mistakes, when you learn from setbacks AND successes, and when you set goals just beyond your present abilities.
Focusing on mental preparation, skills, and training allows you to:
- Optimally regulate your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors to perform your best
- Engage in quality training in consistent and purposeful manner
- Cope with the many demands of your training and competition schedule
- Maximize your enjoyment of sport while maintaining a healthy level of mental well-being
- As a certified consultant with the Canadian Sport Psychology Association, I offer individual and team consultations to teach performance enhancement skills and techniques. Areas of focus many include the following:
- Strategies to reach performance potential in sport and/or other aspects of life
- Regulating arousal, stress and/or emotions
- Improve confidence, motivation, and concentration
- Mentally plan for training and competitions
- Improve communication skills
- Learn specific performance enhancement techniques (e.g. goal setting, imagery, mindfulness)
- Improve recovery and regeneration
- Debrief and evaluate performance or programs
- Improve decision making processes
- Rehabilitate from and injury
- Make a positive transition from sport
- With over 10 years of experience working as a mental performance consultant I have worked with many individual and team sports (recreational and from youth to elite/national teams) including: cross-country skiing, biathlon, triathlon, track and field, diving, swimming, Paralympic Goalball, BMX, cycling, dancing, gymnastics, golf, soccer, alpine skiing, figure skating, hockey, beach volleyball, short and long track speed skating, and rowing
- I am currently a service provider for the Canadian Sport Institute – Pacific in Victoria, BC
- As a consultant I draw on nearly 30 years of competitive experience including soccer, volleyball, basketball, elite running and mountain biking, and as a professional off-road triathlete (Xterra) as a member of the LUNA Pro Team (2008-2014)
WHY WORK WITH A MENTAL PERFORMANCE CONSULTANT?
There are many reasons to work with a mental performance consultant. You do not need to have a “problem” with your performance. One of the most common reasons athletes seek out a qualified mental performance consultant/sport psychologist is performance enhancement. Every athlete needs to learn key skills to meet the psychological demands of their sport. Other reasons include: competitive anxiety, confidence issues, injury, retirement, coach concerns, and stress. Anything that impacts your sport can be the subject of a session
CAN MY COACH BE INVOLVED?
It is up to you. For many, it is enough their coach is aware that they are seeing a mental performance consultant. Others want their coaches present for a session. Some have circumstances where they wish to keep their attendance confidential.
WHAT IF I NEED TO DISCUSS MY SPORT AND OTHER ISSUES GOING ON WITH MY LIFE – CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THAT?
Yes, we can discuss both. If for any reason I need you need to see someone outside of my scope of expertise, I will make sure you have an appropriate referral.
HOW MANY SESSIONS WILL I NEED?
The number of sessions required will depend upon your goals and the presenting problem. And the end of the initial session we will discuss your requirements.
WHAT ABOUT CONFIDENTIALITY?
Mental performance consulting services are confidential, meaning that information about you is NOT provided to third parties, without your consent, at which time a release of information form will need to be completed. This confidentiality may be limited in very specific circumstances: (a) if a child or dependent adult is in need of protective services: (b) if your life or someone else’s life is at imminent risk of serious harm: (c) if you are a minor or dependent adult your guardian has the right to impose a limit on your right to confidentiality: (d) if your file is subpoenaed in the court of law
Note: You will have the chance to read and sign my complete confidentiality form before an initial session.
WHAT HAPPENS IN A FIRST SESSION?
The first session is an assessment of your situation. We will discuss your current concerns and collect the relevant information so I can inform you about how we might proceed. I’m also interested in any changes you want to achieve. I also find it helpful to hear what you have tried and that didn’t work for you and what you consider to be challenges to reaching your goals. We then develop a plan to identify the best way to move forward to accomplish your desired goals. We will also set a clear goal or focus for your consultation(s), and establish a time line for our work together.
An important component of my work with clients is the ability to feel safe, respected, and understood by me as the consultant. Your first session provides the opportunity to confirm that my approach is a good ‘fit’ for you.
WHAT IS YOUR APPROACH?
I primarily follow a bio-psycho-social approach which means we explore your presenting problem or desired performance goals from a holistic perspective and take into account the various areas in your life that influence the issue. For example, I’ve worked with a number of clients who know “cognitively” what they need to do yet discovered through working together that they had not integrated that knowledge on a “feeling” or “behavioral” level.
My clients have various ways of learning and processing their experiences so I take into consideration your particular learning style and adapt our sessions to provide the best opportunity for you to achieve your desired goals. I use a combination of modalities. However, I draw primarily from the following approaches:
- Cognitive Behavioral – teaches you how changing your relationship to your thoughts can change your feelings and behavior (and can help facilitate more consistent performances at the upper range of your potential)
- Motivational Interviewing – assists you in strengthening your own motivation to clarify and strengthen your ability to make the changes you want
- Solution-Focused – a strengths based, future-focused, goal-directed approach
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The hourly rate is 100.00, no GST.
Call 1-844-987-5433 to book your appointment to consult with Danelle in our virtual clinic partner Cloud Go Health.